Delta Phi Chapter Installation Banquet

To celebrate the installation of the Delta Phi Chapter at the College of Puget Sound, an installation banquet was held the evening of February 4, 1950. Nearly 300 guests attended the event which was held in the Fellowship Hall of the Tacoma Masonic Temple. The story about the installation in the Magazine of Sigma Chi describes the event “got off to a rousing start and the tempo never lagged.”

Gallery

All images are from the Archives of the Sigma Chi Fraternity; most were published with the article “John S. McMillin’s Dream” in The Magazine of Sigma Chi, vol. 6, no. 2, pg. 34 – 39.

the Photographer

Robert B. “Bob” Richards was born in Tacoma, Washington, and graduated in 1936 from the College of Puget Sound where he was a Sigma Mu Chi local member. After graduation, Richards became one of the Pacific Northwest’s top photographers. On February 4, 1950, he and 25 other Sigma Mu Chi local alumni became Sigma Chis when the Delta Phi Chapter was installed.

The Richards Studio, also known as Richards Commercial Photo Service, was the foremost commercial photographic studio in Tacoma, Washington for over 35 years between 1949 and 1974. The studio’s photographers documented the Tacoma community’s weddings, funerals, parades, business growth, school activities, and more.

Images produced by the Richards Studio can be found in the Tacoma Public Library’s photograph collection in physical and digital formats.

Bob Richards studies the lens setting of his Speed Graphic camera. (From the Archives of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.)

The Tacoma Masonic Temple

The Masonic Temple, which has stood for over 90 years at 47 St Helens Avenue, is a Tacoma landmark. Groundbreaking for the Greek-styled with Egyptian-detail structure, designed by architect A.J. Russell, occurred on January 16, 1926. Construction lasted for nearly two years when the building was formally dedicated on December 1, 1927. The building has hosted countless events, including the Installation Banquet, investitures and other chapter events.

Groundbreaking occurred on January 16, 1926, and the building was formally dedicated on December 1, 1927. (Tacoma Public Library, BOLAND-B15967)
Seen in 1932, the Masonic Temple is a Greek-styled with Egyptian-detail structure designed by architect A.J. Russell. (Tacoma Public Library, TPL-6970)